As October approaches, my kitchen becomes a place of comfort. Throughout the fall and winter we cook dishes that take a long time to cook, and I love how the warmth from a simmering soup on the stove can fog up the windows throughout our house.
This first recipe is a favorite in my house. There is a Chinese restaurant in Alpena that serves this soup, and somehow my mother got her hands on the recipe. Once word got out on Facebook that I had a recipe for this soup I was bombarded with requests from hometown friends who had moved away to share it. Trust me, it is delicious!
Double this for a HUGE pot.
- 2-3 lbs stew beef
- 1 1/2 Qt H2O
- Med onion chopped
- 2 t Worchestershire sauce
- 6 cubes beef bullion
- garlic powder to taste
- 1-3 sliced carrots
- 1/2-1 head cabbage (med)
- 3/4 c. Western salad dressing
- 2 stalks chopped celery
- 4t soy sauce
- 1/8 t white pepper
- 2 cubed potatoes
Bring everything but potatoes and cabbage to boil, add potatoes. Simmer 2-3 hours. Add cabbage 30-45 min before serving
Lentil Soup with Mustard Greens
Yield: 8-10 servings / Prep Time: 10 minutes / Cook Time: 45-60 minutes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 3/4 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 9 cups water or stock
- 4 cups mustard greens, stemmed and torn
- Heat olive oil in your soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until onions are translucent (~5 minuties).
- Add water and the remaining ingredients to the pot.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 30-35 minutes, until lentils are tender.
Beet and Fennel Soup with Kefir
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped fennel bulb
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 large (2 1/2-to 3-inch-diameter) beets, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups low-salt chicken broth
- 1 cup unflavored kefir
- Additional unflavored kefir
- Fennel fronds (for garnish)
Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped onion, chopped fennel, and fennel seeds. Sauté until vegetables soften, about 5 minutes. Add cubed beets and stir to coat. Add chicken broth and bring to boil. Cover; reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until beets are tender, 18 to 20 minutes. Puree soup in batches in blender. Return to same saucepan. Whisk in 1 cup unflavored kefir and season soup with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Rewarm soup.
Ladle soup into bowls. Drizzle with additional unflavored kefir; garnish with fennel fronds.
My husband hates cauliflower. I made this dish one evening before he got home and he raved and raved about how delicious it was. This is a great Indian side dish, and a good
Indian Cauliflower Mash, or Aloo Gobi Mash
Original post: http://www.spiciefoodie.com/2011/04/24/vegan-indian-cauliflower-mash-or-aloo-gobi-mash-2/
- 1 cauliflower head, cut into large florets
- 4 small potatoes, peeled and cut into large pieces
- small piece of fresh ginger, ginger and finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 red chile, finely chopped
- 11/2 tbsp. garam masala
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- extra chile powder, optional *
- salt & ground black to taste
- finely chopped chives, chiles and/or fresh cilantro to top, optional
Boil the cauliflower and potatoes until tender. Drain and set aside. Heat the oil and cook the onion until soft and translucent. Add the ginger, garlic and chile and saute for another 3 minutes. Place the boiled cauliflower and potatoes into the pan. Add the remaining spices to the pan. Use a potato masher and mash until the vegetables have broken up into a thick mash. I left a few chunks of both the potatoes and cauliflower for a chunky texture. Stir to combine all ingredients well, and cook for another 10 minutes.
Since I included a recipe that won my husband over, this is a great way to get my kid to eat squash. We froze this in individual servings for a quick kid-lunch.
Dreamy “Mac & Cheese” Spaghetti Squash
- 1/2 Tbsp flour
- salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup milk (1%)
- 1/4 cup Tex Mex blend shredded cheese
- 1 1/2 cups spaghetti squash, cooked
- 1 slice green pepper, finely diced
- 1 green onion, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp frozen peas
- 1 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, shredded
Preheat oven to 350. Spray a small casserole dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
In a small saucepan, over medium heat, whisk together flour and salt & pepper. Slowly whisk in milk until smooth. Cook and stir until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in Tex-Mex cheese until melted and smooth.
That’s it for this week. Cheers!